I try to make Angel Food Cake for my husband every year on his birthday (it’s his favorite)! I remember my first attempt at making this when we were dating back in 2012… without a mixer! (Face palm)…
Trust me, you CANNOT make this recipe without an electric mixer of some sort (handheld or kitchen-aid)! Just trust me, lol.
Fast forward – I have since perfected this recipe (serious airy-fluffy-goodness) and its very so easy to make! See the deets below –
- 12 egg whites
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and let it stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position and preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup cake flour together twice and set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt to egg whites then beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Using a tablespoon, gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar (do not add all of the sugar at once because you will loose the fluffy texture) beating on high until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually fold in flour and sugar sifted mixture (from step 3), about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an un-greased 10-in. tube pan. (This is the pan I used)
- Cut through batter with a plastic knife (to avoid scratching pan) to remove air pockets.
- Bake for roughly 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry.
- Immediately invert pan to cool completely (about 1 hour)
- Run a plastic knife around side and center tube of pan.
- Remove cake to a serving plate and enjoy!
Extra: Add freshly cut strawberries and whipped cream (or lactose-free vanilla ice cream) on the side to take it to the next level 😉
Give it a try and let me know what you think!